Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mental Toughness

Before my stress fracture in March 2009, I was mentally tough. While I was training for the marathons I did in October and November 2008, I would go to bed about 15 mins early. I would dim the lights and just lie in bed with my eyes shut. I could see myself winning. Winning in everything. 5ks to marathons. At the time, I have been either winning or placing in my age group in 5ks so I had a small taste of what victory was like. Big or small I'll take em!

But after not BQing (Boston Qualifying) in Marine Corps marathon in 2009, I felt so defeated. But I wasn't realistic. I was able to start training for the marathon right on schedule, coming off the injury. But I could only run 3 days a week with a peak weekly mileage at 30 miles. Now that I look back, it's actually freaking awesome that I was able to run 26.2 miles in 3:52 running an average of 24 miles a week.

So lately I have been struggling with mental toughness. I try to imagine but stress from everyday life seems to get in the way. So today I walked to my mailbox. And what did I find?



The March edition of Runner's World with Kara Goucher on the cover! And in perfect time, there is an article about finding confidence to perform at your best! This will be a lunch time read tomorrow!

Have you ever struggled with mental toughness? With anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment